Home cast blarney photo recipes Contact

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My Big Fat Greek Soup

I have about four or five sets of photos to go with recipes we have made in the last month or so.. The problem is someone (ahem) keeps forgetting to post about them... Shame on me I know...

Well, I found my recipe for a soup I use to make all the time when I lived in Hawaii because it was cheap and good... When I say found I mean found... It was packed up in a box when I moved and I just found it the other day...It's been awhile since I have made this soup... So, without further ado...
Greek Lemon Rice Soup

Ingredients:

4 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice (I haven't tried it with brown rice but do plan to soon)
2 eggs
Juice of 1 fresh lemon, or to taste
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup warm broth (from the cooking soup)

Preparation:

1. Bring broth and rice to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the rice is very tender, about 15 minutes.


2. Separate 2 eggs (whites in one bowl and yolks in another). Whisk the egg whites till creamy and fluffy. Add the egg yolks to the egg whites and mix them until creamy.

3. Slowly add the lemon juice to the eggs .

4. Mix half of a cup cold water and half of a cup warm broth/soup together in a medium/large bowl (making one cup of luke warm water/broth so the eggs do not curdle)

5. Slowly add the lemon/egg mixture to the water/soup mixture. Stir slowly till blended. Then add another half cup of broth. Stir slowly till blended.

6. Slowly pour the mixture into the rice soup and stir till blended.

Enjoy.... If you like you can add a little dill, parsley, pepper, etc to taste... You may even want to add some green onions for color and flavor if you like...

Do have to warn you that you need to be careful with the lemon juice.... I happen to like the tangy lemon a tad stronger than oh say DH does.. So, he wasn't happy with the amount of lemon juice I put in.. However, in my defence it was a very juicy lemon... Oh and yes it doesn't look yummy at all when making it but oooo it's good..

0 comments:

Post a Comment